Monday, March 7, 2016

4 Defining Moments of Parenting

By Sara Debbie Gutfreund for The Jewish Voice

Treasuring the gift of our children.
Parenting is comprised of ordinary and extraordinary moments of connection and growth as I try my best to love, help and treasure my children. There are so many defining moments of parenting; moments that can uplift us and transform us if we hold onto them. Here are four precious moments that changed me.

1. The moment I decided to listen.

A teacher called and informed me that my daughter had come late to class and she didn't explain why. When my daughter came home that day, I wanted to cross-examine her. Why? Where were you? What's wrong with you?

I took one look at my daughter and I knew she needed me to listen, not talk. That’s how I found out that she was late for class because she was comforting a sobbing friend, and she didn't tell the teacher in order to protect her friend's privacy. In that moment, I listened and truly heard my child's voice.

Continue reading.

Follow us on   

No comments:

Post a Comment