Monday, August 11, 2014

Living the Value of Hiddur P’nei Zaken (Honoring the Elderly)

By Brandi Lerner, jkidphilly parent

Lerner FamilyMy own, personal connection started with the Abramson Center for Jewish Life when, in the mid-90’s I began going to the Philadelphia Geriatric Center (the former Abramson located next to Einstein Hospital) monthly to celebrate Shabbat. This mitzvah was something that I looked forward to, and continued for six years before leaving for college. Now, as a parent, it is amazing to give my son the same experiences that I cherished.

I began bringing my son Ethan, now 2, to Abramson when he was about 4 months old through a jkidphilly program that was held there. His face lit up when entering the sun-filled atrium to the residents being serenaded by Cantor Buzzy Walters. The warm welcome of the residents and the immediate smile on my son’s face confirmed that this was the right decision. I am glad that I have this wonderful environment to teach my son Hiddur Penei Zaken, honoring the elderly – a mitzvah dear to my heart.

Continue reading.

Follow our    page.


No comments:

Post a Comment