Monday, December 9, 2013

Interview with Interesting Jews: Ido Kedar, 17-Year-Old Author of “Ido in Autismland”

By Tracy Kedar for Kveller


My 17-year-old son, Ido, is on a mission to change the world for people with severe autism. He is a tireless advocate, blogger, frequent presenter at universities and autism conferences, and the author of a book about autism which has even been assigned in graduate level university classes.

IdoAs Ido writes in the introduction to his blog, “I am an autistic guy with a message. I spent the first half of my life completely trapped in silence. The second, on becoming a free soul. I had to fight to get an education. Now I am a regular education student. I communicate by typing on an iPad or a letter board. My book, Ido in Autismland: Climbing Out of Autism’s Silent Prison, is an autism diary, telling the story of my symptoms, education, and journey into communication. I hope to help other autistic people find a way out of their silence too.”

Ido seeks to educate the professionals in the autism field to understand severe, nonverbal autism better and to provide children with a richer, more appropriate education and a true means to communication. He has become a source of hope for parents of children with autism and for people with autism as well. As a family, it has been a remarkable journey of triumph over challenges, even as Ido works daily to face new goals and struggles.

Kveller asked that I interview Ido about his life living with autism. His answers were all typed letter by letter on a keyboard.

What is severe autism?

Autism is a neurological condition that is called a spectrum disorder. I have severe autism which means I can’t speak and I have really challenging motor control problems. It doesn’t mean I have cognitive delay, or no empathy, or no interest in people, but these are common beliefs. The term “spectrum disorder” may be confusing because I think we are actually looking at different neurological conditions, not degrees of the same condition. After all, colds and AIDS are both viruses but no one refers to a Virus Spectrum Disorder.

Continue reading.



No comments:

Post a Comment