Monday, February 29, 2016

Ask the Expert: What to do on Shabbat?

How do I occupy myself on this day of rest?


By MJL Staff

Question: I’ve heard all about the things that are prohibited on Shabbat, from writing a letter to watching TV. So what can you do on Saturdays?

–Shelby, Poplar Bluff

Answer: I know how you feel, Shelby. When people speak about traditional Shabbat observance, they often end up focusing on all the things that are restricted, without spending much time talking about what people who observe Shabbat in this manner really love about it.

First, however, I should say that today, people observe Shabbat in all sorts of different ways, and activities that more traditional communities consider forbidden on Shabbat are not necessarily frowned upon by liberal streams of Judaism.

But since you seem most interested in how Shabbat is experienced according to classical Jewish law, I’ll focus on that.

Continue reading.

Follow us on   

No comments:

Post a Comment