Monday, May 11, 2015

Our Kids Have Way Too Much Homework–And it Needs to Stop

Rachel Fadlon for Kveller

I am officially the crazy, anti-homework lady at my children’s Jewish day school.

Believe me, you would be too, if your typical afternoon looked like mine: I leave work and pick up my kids from school. We have a nice, calm ride home, and I get to hear about their day. Pretty mellow so far, right? That’s because I’ve purposely avoided the dreaded topic, which I ask as calmly as possible as we walk in the house: “So, what homework do you have today?”

My 9-year-old son immediately tenses up as he pulls out his weekly homework packet, which is due at the end of the week. That is in addition to his Hebrew homework, nightly reading, and online FASTT Math that he has to do three times a week. He goes into his usual routine about how he hates Hebrew (which is precisely why we are sending him to a Jewish day school!) and finally rushes to do the least amount of homework possible so he can go and play.

Continue reading.

Follow us on   


No comments:

Post a Comment